Saturday, July 26, 2008

Response to "Is the Google making us stupid?"

Yes,Yes,Yes! After reading this article, I too believe that the brain is plastic. I believe that using technology creates different pathways and neural connections to learning. I think computers should be used as an additional tool to education, not instead of traditional learning methods. My experience with some college students: they cannot spell, and if spell check doesn't catch the error then the paper must be correct. Give me a break! These are the best of high school students who actually were accepted to college. I think valuable skills are learned from libraries that students do not know how to use. I feel this is both frightening and sad. Computer sights can be overwhelming with information and pictures, and learning to "scan" articles without comprehension is a concern. I think computer information is the equivalent to Cliff Notes, a summary of knowledge without understanding. I think students use computers enough on their own, and school is for traditional learning, with technology only as a small portion of learning and teaching. What is so bad about "boring" book, that you can hold in boat on a lake?

1 comment:

jessica said...

I also prefer to read a real book. Luckily for me I still can read an entire book. I can't imagine spending so much time online that I lose that skill and lose the enjoyment of it. And, you can't take the computer in the bathtub.